Friday, March 19, 2010

World Storytelling Day












Tomorrow is the March equinox. It also is the annual World Storytelling Day, which began in Sweden and even has its own official pentagram logo. Every year there is a theme. This year it is light and shadow. There is an interesting magazine article about Victor I. Stoicha, and a whole book called A Brief History of the Shadow.

Robert Fulghum’s wonderful book Everything I Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten contains the following passage in its opening section, To the Reader From the Author:

“Finally I should tell you that I have an official Storyteller’s License. A friend made it up and taped it to the wall over my desk. This license gives me permission to use my imagination in rearranging my experience to improve a story, so long as it serves some notion of Truth. It also contains the Storyteller’s Creed:

I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge.

That myth is more potent than history.

That dreams are more powerful than facts.

That hope always triumphs over experience.

That laughter is the only cure for grief.

And I believe that love is stronger than death.”


Of course, the What's Your Story? blog had a post about Stories for World Storytelling Day.

No comments: